There is good evidence to show that once a patient is vaccinated, it takes around 2 weeks to develop an immune response. The key message is ‘it is never too late to have your flu jab’.
Please contact your surgery to discuss your flu injection requirements with member of the professional support team or discuss with a clinician during your consultation.
Key messages for patients 65 years and over
- The adjuvanted flu vaccine is the recommended flu vaccine for people aged 65 and over. This is because aTIV is likely to give better protection against flu.
- It is better to wait for the vaccine that is most effective for your age group.
- Having the vaccine in October or November will not be too late to benefit from its protective effect.
If adjuvanted flu vaccine is stronger, does it have more side effects?
- There may be some mild reactions to any flu vaccine, but serious side effects are very rare.
- Adjuvanted flu vaccine is slightly more likely to give a local reaction around the injection site; however, the adjuvanted vaccine additional benefits people aged 65 years and over as it gives a better protection against flu.